Once you initiate the application with the user-friendly interface, you are required to create a Digsby account in a few simple steps.
Adding accounts from other instant messengers is easy. All you have to do is input your user name and password from Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, Facebook Chat, ICQ, LinkedIn, or others.
Evidently, you have access to the most important functions, such as setting a status message and picture, switching to invisible mode, using emoticons, changing the text font, starting or joining a chatroom, adding new groups, as well as sending an email or an SMS.
Furthermore, you can change the interface skin and theme, set Digsby to automatically launch at system startup and to automatically download software updates, sort the buddy list (e.g. by status or service) and configure conversation settings (e.g. group multiple conversations into one tabbed window, display timestamp, log IM conversations to the hard drive).
But you can also set the default location for file transfers, disable popup notifications and sounds, set permissions (e.g. allow only users on your contact list), add widgets, set CPU priority, configure proxy settings, and more.
The program uses a moderate-to-high amount of system resources, comes with an online getting-started guide and FAQ page, and didn't freeze, crash or pop up errors during our tests. Besides the fact that it usually takes several long seconds to connect to accounts, we strongly recommend Digsby to all users.
Here are some key features of "digsby":
- One combined buddy list for all your AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber, and Facebook Chat Accounts.
- Manage multiple conversations with tabbed conversation windows. You can drag tabs out into their own windows for important conversations.
- Rename contacts with an alias so you don't have to remember buddy names like 'giantsfan123'.
- If one of your friends has more than one IM account you can combine them into a single merged contact to eliminate duplicate buddies.
- Send your friends SMS messages right from the IM window.
- The InfoBox lets you check everyone's status message and profile just by moving your mouse down the list.
- Changing your status has never been easier. just one click right on the buddy list!
- Multitask while you chat. Minimize the IM window and you see popups of new IM's. Best of all, you can reply right from the popup and get back to what you were doing.
- Log conversation history and find the information you need with our search-enabled log viewer.
- And so much more.
- Manage your Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, AOL/AIM Mail, IMAP, and POP accounts right from digsby.
- Get popup notifications when new email arrives. Clicking a popup takes you right to the message with auto-login into webmail accounts.
- The email InfoBox gives you a snapshot of your unread messages with just one click
- Perform actions such as "Mark as Read" or "Report Spam" right from the email InfoBox.
- Send emails to your friends right from the IM window. The email is sent directly from any account digsby is tracking for you.
- Stay up to date with everything happening on your Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and LinkedIn accounts.
- Receive alerts of events such as new friend requests, messages, group invites, etc.
- The social network InfoBox gives you a real time NewsFeed of what your friends are up to. Everything from new photos, to status updates, to upcoming birthdays is just a click away.
- Set your Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn status right from Digsby.
- Customize digsby with application skins to give it a personal look and feel.
- Change the way your conversations look with themes – everything from simple AIM-style windows to 3D conversation bubbles.
- Complete control over the layout of buddies on the buddy list. Change everything from buddy icon size to whether or not to show a snippet of their away message.
- Sort your buddy list how ever you want! You can organize buddies manually, by status, by service, by name or by log size to place those you communicate with most at the top. You can even choose a secondary sorting method.
- Customizable notification system lets you choose what events you want to be alerted about and how.
- Digsby offers complete synchronization between computers and installations. Everything from the skin you chose to your pre-defined status messages follows you from place to place.
- You can place a widget on your blog, website, or social network profile so you can chat with visitors right from digsby.
- Manage multiple simultaneous file transfers from one simple transfer manager.