DjVu is a graphic format that can be used as an alternative to PDF, considering DjVU files are much smaller in size; also DjVU compresses files up to 10 times better compared to JPEG or GIF. However, this format is not as popular as PDF, therefore a dedicated application is required to access these files, and WinDjView is such an app.
Considering it is a viewer, WinDjView comes with an intuitive and well-structured interface with no complex menus or tabs that might confuse users. Several files can be opened at the same time, each in its tab, so that they can be analyzed with ease.
WinDjView features support for enlarging or shrinking not only the pages of their DjVu files, but also the thumbnails used for previewing the documents. One can create bookmarks and annotations onto the source file, then save the output as a new file.
If the original DjVu is not correctly formatted, WinDjView can be used to rotate the pages so that the text can be read without problems. The display layout can also be adjusted to show the pages in a continuous mode or facing each other.
Just like PDF, DjVu can contain images and colors, and these can be viewed as black and white if the focus need to be placed on the text.
When one needs to export the contents of DjVu files to another format, they can choose to save pages as image files (multiple formats are available, such as BMP, PNG, JPEG or GIF) or to extract text and save it to an TXT file. All the newly-created files can be accessed without any specialized software, since Windows supports them all.
WinDjView is a comprehensive solution when it comes to accessing DjVu files and performing basic editing operations. When reading these documents one can magnify the pages or insert annotations to mark important passages, or extract information to external files.
Here are some key features of "WinDjView":
- Tabbed document interface. Alternatively it can open each document in its own window.
- Continuous or single page layout, with an option to group facing pages
- Interface languages: English, Russian (for older versions: also Ukrainian, Greek, Hungarian, French, Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, Tatarish). To install, download the corresponding language dll into the installation folder and restart the program.
- User-created bookmarks and annotations
- Text searching and copying
- Supports dictionaries that translate words under mouse pointer
- Thumbnails with adjustable size
- Contents and hyperlinks
- Advanced printing
- Fullscreen mode
- Magnifying glass and marquee zoom
- Export pages (or a part of a page) to bmp, png, gif, tif and jpg
- Rotate pages by 90 degrees
- Zoom to page, page width, 100% or custom zoom
- Brightness, contrast and gamma adjustment
- Display modes: Color, Black & White, Foreground, Background
- Keyboard shortcuts for scrolling and navigation
- If requested, associates with DjVu files in Explorer